Friday, September 24, 2010

RUNNERS

Danielle is a runner...
  I know there are other runners out there, I've met more than a few. However, I've never met one as adept or dedicated to the art as Danielle. Fortunately for us, Dani is more of a sprinter/middle distance runner so as long as she doesn't get a big lead, you can probably catch her given the right circumstances.
  For those of you who are unfamiliar with Runners, they are exactly what the name implies; kids that run away at a moments notice. Runners can present a major hazard to those around them and are sometimes a danger to themselves. For example, Danielle has no apparent understanding of crosswalks, traffic flow or traffic patterns. Walking near busy streets with Danielle requires strict concentration on both her part and ours. A lapse in concentration could allow Danielle to run blindly into traffic. 
  Danielle's M.O. is to walk at your side and, ever so slightly, pick up the pace. She usually gauges her lead on how fast she thinks the person walking next to her might be. (She's really good at this.) With Kathy, her lead is about 5 to 10 feet, with me her lead is as much as 20 feet. Once she reaches the proper space, she will sprint away from you as fast as she can. If your hands are full, or you're not paying attention or there are obstacles in your path, the race is on. At best, it's annoying as heck, at worst it is very dangerous. 
This is a story taken from my journal from 2006:

We dropped Kat and Taylor off at the Aquarium. I was really hoping that Danielle would want to go in this time but I guess she isn't ready yet. I don't understand how she could love the Aquarium so much and all of the sudden be so terrified of going inside. I wish I could just understand what is going on inside her little head. I don't know if it's the dark entrance or the turnstiles or the sounds coming from inside but it didn't bother her the first 25 times she went there. In fact, she loved running through the Aquarium and playing with the hands-on exhibits and water toys. I hope she learns to enjoy these things again.
      Me and Dani drove down to Lover's Point to play on the beach. It was a perfect day with no clouds, light breeze and sunshine; no overcast. We walked through the field at Lover's Point and there were lots of people laying on the grass and playing frisbee. We walked over to the stone staircase leading down to the little cove at the foot of the 25' cliff. The area was packed with families and lots of small kids. There were sea otters playing  in the distance, a scuba diving class taking place about 200' down the beach from us. There were a bunch of kids looking for sea shells on the beach. Danielle jumped right in and started playing with all the other kids, as usual. After about two and a half hours, Kathy called me on the cell phone and said she and Taylor were ready to be picked up.
  By this time, Danielle was a complete mess. She got her pants wet so she stripped down to her underwear. (In reality, she is too big to do this type of thing. Most parents put an end to this type of behavior at 4 or 5 years old. It's been an ongoing struggle but one we have to get control of.) She removed her shoes, socks, jeans and shirt. All she was wearing was her panties and t-shirt.
  I told Danielle that we were going to leave and she began to throw a mini-tantrum. As usual, it only lasted a few seconds and she stomped off towards the stairs leading up to the field. I went over to pick up her clothes and as soon as I took a few steps, I realized my mistake; I allowed Danielle to violate the 20' lead zone. I turned and told Danielle to stop. She looked back at me and slowly began to smile. I really messed up, I knew my time was limited.
   I was really afraid that she would fall running up the stairs. These stairs were made of stone. They were at least 20-25' high, over looking a beach with huge granite stones; some the size of automobiles. I was terrified that she slip and fall down the stairs or get to the top and fall off the ledge. I decided not to make any sudden moves. She probably just wants attention, so I'll slowly, quietly pick up her clothes and walk up the stairs.
  I picked up her clothes, shoes and socks and when I turned around, Danielle was at the top of the stairs looking at me with that sly smile of hers. Now, I know I am in deep, deep trouble. If I run up the stairs, she will surely turn and run. If I tell her to stay and quietly walk up the stairs, I may have a chance.
  I looked at Danielle and sternly said, "Danielle, you stay right there and don't you move!".As I'm saying this, Danielle's grin is getting bigger and bigger. I decided not to look her in the face, just walk purposefully up the stairs as if I "know" she will obey my command.

  As I reached the top of the staircase, I saw that Danielle had used the past few seconds to extend the distance between the two of us. There she stood, thirty yards in front of me, looking me in the eye. Experience has taught me that any sudden movement will cause Danielle to sprint blindly in any given direction. The key to this type of situation is to remain calm, cool and collected.
  The first step is the obligatory Survey. The "Survey" calls for a quick recon of the area to check for targets of possible collateral damage. I slowly looked over my left shoulder. Possibility 1, there were several couples laying around on blankets. Some were having picnics, others were just enjoying the afternoon sunshine and atmosphere. Okay, worse case scenario, Danielle will run right through their picnic spread, squashing their egg salad sandwiches and kicking over their Guave Juice. That would be really bad.
  Possibility number 2, our truck is parked in that direction. It's at least one hundred yards away so I have time to catch her if she decides to make a break for it. That's given I can actually run one hundred yards. It's been a long time...I might have to drop the clothes and come back for 'em.
  Possibility number 3, There is a group of guys playing soccer. Danielle could try and get involved in their game. Most she could do is interfere with a kick or attempt to steal their ball. That's the preferred scenario, no harm no foul. Comfortable after completing my scan for possible "hotspots" to my left, I slowly turned and looked over my right shoulder .What I saw next made my heart skip a beat.

  If you are not familiar with Carmel/Monterey in the Spring, it can be surprisingly cool; sometimes it can be down-right chilly. Overcast, sixty-five degree days are not uncommon for this time of year. Not today, this was and picture perfect, 78 degree Chamber of Commerce kind of day. The Monterey Bay is full of beautiful colors, especially on sunny days. There are various shades of dark blue. There is the occasional purple hue on top of the water that comes from some of the plants and kelp. There is the aquamarine blue that you find in some of the shallow ponds and tide pools and of course, the most crisp white you've ever seen in the waves as they break across the black, brown and gray rocks and stones. This was their backdrop...The green grass of Lovers Point, the white pillars, rows of white roses, the beautiful royal red carpet with gold trim, the rows of white chairs; whoever this was, their wedding planner was surely patting her/himself on the back. Twelve members of the Marine Corp Honor Guard in full dress uniforms, stood on either side of the aisle with their glistening swords crossed high overhead. The wedding guest all stood as the flower girl started up the aisle and under the crossed swords of the Marine Honor Guard. I saw the father whispering to his daughter as she took his arm and they started up the aisle and under the crossed swords of the Marine Honor Guard. I was horrified.
  This was "THE" day for this couple, their family and loved ones. Everything they've planned for months, perhaps years was all wrapped up in this ceremony. There's a person video taping the ceremony, for "future enjoyment". Little did they know, an uninvited guest about to make a grand entrance.
  I slowly looked over at Danielle as she was turning to look at me. She saw exactly what I saw and she knew exactly what I knew. She knew I didn't want her to go towards the wedding, call it instinct, intuition or whatever. Perhaps she saw it in my face. Whatever the reason, we both reacted simultaneously. I dropped the clothes and sprinted as fast as I could towards the wedding. Danielle had a shorter distance to cover but I had the angle and was gaining quickly. I wanted to shout as loud as I could, "DANIELLE MILLER YOU STOP RIGHT THIS MINUTE!".  I couldn't say a word, the video tape was rolling, and I didn't want to be heard screaming on their wedding video for "future enjoyment". We were both running as fast as possible. I'm running for my life and dignity, Danielle is running for my humiliation and torment.
  Just as Danielle is about to run onto the red carpet and under the crossed swords of the Marine Honor Guard, I dive to attempt a gentle, yet firm tackle. Danielle's little feet dart by as my chest hits the ground. On to the royal red carpet with gold trim, under the glistening swords of the Marine Honor Guard and right in step behind the father and his daughter on one of the most important days of their lives. I sat in frozen horror and Danielle, naked but for her panties and t-shirt, covered in sand, joined the wedding party and took "her" seat in the front row next to the mother of the bride.
  By the way, the guards at Buckingham Palace have nothing on the Marine Corp Honor Guard. They never once broke concentration as this little half naked black girl ran under their swords and up the aisle. When I crawled to the back of the aisle and stayed there on my hands and knees trying to get her attention and urge her to come back, they never even flinched. It was as if we were completely invisible. Tremendous discipline...
  As I knelt at the back of the aisle trying to figure out what to do, Danielle slowly turned back and gave me a playful smile. I am so angry, frustrated and worried that I'm about to have stroke. By now, the guest at the wedding are finding this quite amusing, at least some of them were. The bride and her dad seemed to be completely oblivious to what was going on. To my further dismay, there were several video cameras watching Danielle's antics and I was afraid she was going to make a mockery of this couple's wedding. I was at my wits end.
  There was this beautiful little flower girl about Danielle's age standing next to the bride. She was keenly aware of Danielle's presence and glanced over her shoulder several times to see what was happening. Eventually, she saw me at the back of the aisle. She obviously could see the look of sheer panic on my face and decided to help me out. She gently and quietly put down her flower basket, walked over and took Danielle by the hand and walked her back down the aisle to me. I was so grateful to her but there was no time to say thank you. It was time to get lost as fast as possible.
  I've often thought about what the bride and groom must have said when they saw the wedding video. "Who is that naked kid and where did she come from?". I've also thought about the irony in the way this ended. A child of Danielle's age was able to quickly determine what was going on and come to our aid. Meanwhile, Danielle had no idea what she was doing wrong.
  I'm truly thankful because this had the potential to be so much worse...for the bride and groom!

No comments: