Thursday, July 29, 2010

If I Had $90 Million

...and really wanted to help.

If I had $90 million, I would probably do what I'm doing but more of it. When people talk about the satisfaction you receive from giving to and working for your community, they couldn't be more right. It's not easy work; building alliances and concensus rarely are but it is meaningful and fulfilling in ways that are hard to replicate in other professions.

First of all, I'd look to support community service agencies that were providing much needed programs and resources to our citizens. There is this little organization in San Jose called One Step Closer, Therapeutic Riding that I really admire. The owners, Mark and Landa provide therapeutic riding classes for disabled children. Their dream is to expand the program to include work with disabled veterans. It's a small operation with a huge positive impact and even more potential. I'd support them with part of the $90 million.

I'd set up a foundation that helped develop and seed local community advocacy programs. Everything from neighborhood beautification and improvement councils to community based conflict resolution and mediation programs.

I'd work with local school districts to enhance community involvement and participation in the educational process. Our schools would benefit tremendously from more involvement from Silicon Valley corporations. Being able to assist in educating the children of our community should be a priority to both parents and local businesses.

I'd work with representatives to change the state constitution removing the ridiculous 2/3rds majority rule.

I'd establish stipends and scholarships for students entering teaching professions.

I'd establish stipends and scholarships for students entering therapeutic professions.

I'd establish stipends and scholarships for STEM programs.

I'd establish an endowment for small business owners

There are lots and lots of things I could think of. But I would never consider buying the governor's office.

1 comment:

Danielle's Dad said...

UPDATE: As of Sept. 5, 2010
That's $110,000,000.00 and counting!